Flower Valley Conservation Trust (FVCT) is a registered Public Benefit Organisation, based in the Overberg. The Trust acts as an Implementing Agent for an Invasive Alien Clearing Programme in partnership with the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Trust is advertising a short-term contract (for a period of 4 months on the provision to extend the contract for 1 year) in the Alien Clearing Project:
Field Control Officer
Main Job functions
- To support the coordination of alien clearing operations in-field;
- To monitor clearing performances and quality against the Working for Water policy requirements;
- To assess, guide and monitor compliances to health & safety standards;
- To coordinate and manage all health and safety meetings amongst alien invasive contracting teams;
- To coordinate the collection of in-field clearing data and provide regular reports on the clearing progress against the annual operational clearing plan;
- To support the management and coordination of all invasive alien clearing monitoring requirements;
- To create GIS maps of all invasive alien treatment areas against prescribed mapping guidelines on which annual clearing plans and budgets are based;
- To ground truth and provide in-field guidance to landowners and contracting teams to identify the boundaries of clearing treatment areas;
- To provide extension support to landowners and contracting teams on prescribed invasive alien treatment methods.
Minimum qualifications & experience:
- 3-year working conservation or similar experience;
- Experience in the use and management of GIS software;
- Experience in mapping and field work;
- Data collection and management experience;
- Arranging and coordinating stakeholder meetings and taking minutes;
- Experience in invasive alien plant control treatments;
- Good communication and facilitation skills;
- Proficient in English & Afrikaans. IsiXhosa would be an advantage;
- Computer literacy and a valid driver’s license;
- Off-roading (4×4) experience advantageous;
- Knowledge of fynbos/invasive plants and ecology advantageous;
- Based in Gansbaai, Stanford, Bredasdorp and surrounds.
A salary will be negotiated, dependent on qualifications and experience, for the position.
Deadline: Wednesday 6 December 2017
Please send your CV, a cover letter, and two contactable references to email@example.com or fax 028 425 2855. For more information, contact 028 425 2218 during office hours.