Flower Valley Conservation Trust is an NGO situated in the Agulhas Region with a key focus on improving livelihoods and natural resource management for the conservation of Fynbos. At the centre of the Trust is the Flower Valley Farm, near Gansbaai, consisting of 540Ha of pristine fynbos. The farm showcases good land use management, and provides a platform for research, monitoring and learning for the activities of the organisation. A wonderful opportunity is available for an Assistant Farm Manager to contribute towards conservation.
- Ensure update and implementation of the farm management plan.
- Ensure that all infrastructure (buildings, roads, hiking trails, boardwalks and water transfer systems) on the farm is well maintained.
- Maintain an up to date register and maintenance schedule for all farm assets.
- Create and maintain firebreaks in accordance with the farm management plan that meets legal compliance.
- Ensure that preparation work for control burns are met and assist with fire management on the farm.
- Manage and keep accurate records of assets, herbicide control and petrol usages on the farm.
- Ensure that the farm meets all health and safety compliances.
- Ensure that all signage on the farm is in place and well maintained.
- Meet guests and visitors to the farm.
- Provide and coordinate logistical support for ecotourism activities where required to visitors & guests for example, fynbos tours and tractor rides
- Supervise all farm staff directly involved in the operational duties of the farm, and any other people contracted in for specialised services such as fynbos harvesting, building contractors and invasive alien contracting teams.
- General office duties relating to the above activities.
- Dynamic and creative person who enjoys being outdoors, as well as working with people.
- Must be practical and hands-on to assist with the day-to-day activities.
- Previous experience in maintenance of infrastructure or permaculture.
- An appropriate qualification in Nature Conservation, Agriculture or FGASA training.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Knowledge of fynbos and local indigenous forests.
- Good knowledge and experience with fynbos fires.
- Experience with data collection for ongoing monitoring.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. A PDP and EB license will be an advantage.
- Experience in driving a tractor and trailer.
- Speak at least two of South Africa’s official languages.
- Confident to engage with the public and showcase the work done on the farm.
- Pro-active and self-motivated individual.
Salary package will be discussed based on an individual’s experience. A job competency test may be done before an individual is appointed.
Apply by submitting your CV and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 12th of March 2019.